The ultimate guide to walking tours around Valletta
The financial and cultural epicentre of all-things-Maltese, when it comes to discovering the historic capital of Malta, all roads lead to Valletta.
A UNESCO World Heritage Site, the 2018 European City of Culture, and, most importantly, the island capital: Valletta is hands-down the most important city in Malta, and no visit to the island would be complete without exploring the city’s from top to bottom.
Built by gentlemen, for gentlemen, Valletta is essentially Malta’s commercial, political, administrative and financial centre, but it also serves as the island’s historic epicentre as well. As a matter of fact, there are 320 monuments just in Valletta alone – making it one of the most concentrated historical areas in the world!
Free walking tours in Valletta
If you really want to experience Valletta’s history in all its glory, there are a handful of free walking tours of Valletta you can join (although most are run in Spanish), so you can get a perfect introduction to the city’s history without digging deep into your pockets for it.
Tours by Jorge Vicioso
- Romantic Valletta Free Walking Tour - This oh-so-romantic Spanish-run walking tour is an ideal option for lovebirds wanting to add a little touch of romance to their Valletta visit.
- Valletta: Discovering the Capital of the Knights of Malta – Another walking tour run only in Spanish, this tour covers all you need to know about the Knights of Malta, as well as the complex 450-year-long history of the Maltese capital city.
Out of the three Valletta walking tours offered by this tour company, this is the only one that is donation-based.
This tour company offers not one, but two free walking tours that run on a pay-what-you-want basis: The Wonderful Valletta Tour (which is only available in English) and Valletta: The Capital of Culture (available in both Spanish and English).
More Valletta walking tours
The majority of walking tours around Malta are concentrated in its capital, so if you’re hoping to join a cheap walking tour, then you’ve come to the right city.
- Complete Valletta Tour – This tour is essentially an extension of the tour company’s free Valletta walking tour, as it includes even more historical spots like Fort St. Elmo, the Siege Bell Memorial, the Grand Harbour, and much more.
- Valletta Ghost Tour - For the more gutsy-type travellers, this super-spooky tour discusses all of the city’s most horrific and terrifying executions and murders, as well as the spirits which still haunt its most historic places today...
If you’re looking for something that’s a little more than just a run-of-the-mill walking tour around Valletta, this tour company offers three incredibly unique tours:
- Licensed to Steal: Valletta Walking Tour – This tour talks about all the fascinating stories of elaborate schemes, torture and greed surrounding Valletta’s fascinating history, and is led by a “roguish Corsair from Valletta’s pirate past.”
- Valletta Walk - Covering all of Valletta’s most historic sites (from the Barrakka Gardens, St. John’s Co-Cathedral and much more) – this tour also includes a free Maltese snack!
- For the Love of Gold: Valletta Walking Tour – Also led by a costumed guide, this tour educates visitors on some of the most exciting tales of Valletta’s history as well as “tales of love gone terribly wrong.”
This entertaining tour will lead you past Valletta’s most important buildings (and even some off-the-beaten-track hidden charms), and is a great option for those looking for the ultimate introduction to Valletta.
Once darkness falls, Valletta’s magic truly comes to light; and no walking tour around Valletta better encapsulates the city’s night-time beauty quite like this one; (which is only available in Spanish).